Saturday 17 August 2013

Pride 10k

What a difference a day makes. Managed about 5 hours sleep after working am overnighter & we headed east to the 10th anniversary Pride 10k.
The Run
I'd targeted today for a PB at the start of my Copenhagen training, yet with the British 10k not providing a suitable test I was completely in the dark as to whether a PB tilt was realistic.
So we lined up at the start, me targeting a 51 minute, Paula a 55. I started well, through 5k in just over 25 mins. If anything I was aware that my pace was unsustainable, but felt I should continue until I hit the wall. A 5:27 8th kilometre was the only real down point of the race, I tighten up & couldn't lift myself until the 8k marker. Despite a pickup in the 9th I'd left myself needling a 4:40 last km to break 51:00. It didn't quite happen & I crossed the line in 51:17.
A thirty second improvement on my last Pride 10k in 2011 & two minutes faster than the HBO 10k at the end of May. It was a pleasant surprise to have the pace & equally deserving to not score a PB. There's still more improvement to go, more potential, more miles. For now though it was an excellent confidence boost for the final month of HM training.

The Event
A sold out event but almost perfectly organised. The visuals queues for bag drop & toilets but everything moved quickly. Started as close to on time as possible & I've never seen quite so many marshals.
The finisher pack included a nice medal, much needed & unique towel, tote bag, water & some other bits. The option to have a bagel or banana afterwards was also great. 

The Eat
Our tired legs took us to The Street, Westfield where the Mexican market Wahaca played host. Cheap & tasty Mexican food, perfect to indulge in after a run..

No comments:

Post a Comment