Tuesday 13 August 2013

90 minutes & 40 overs

The plan....
The summer is often known as silly season, this is certainly the case for my training presently. Summer is when I combine running with cricket. Usually the plan is to run in the morning & play cricket in the afternoon. With HM training I'm running for up to 2 hours, leaving plenty of energy left for cricket if I refuel sufficiently. I usually bowl a bit, bat for a bit less and there is no clash, in fact my cricket is probably better for the increase in fitness.
Sunday was going to be different. Due to availability I was going to be keeping wicket.
The run....
We started the day early with a 90 minute run, ideally in blocks of 30 easy, 30 HM pace, 30 easy. In reality the tempo section was split, 25 mins in thr middle with a big end of race style push towards the end. Pace overall was slower than desired but with 4 weeks to go miles in the bank are the goal.
Didn't embarrass myself with the wicket keeping, though I'm still feeling the effects. 40 overs of keeping, 240 balls, 240 instances of getting into a crouched position have mangled my quads. Never have the foam roller & massage stick been so torturous!!! After an intense rolling session yesterday evening the plan was to run easy this morning. Realised this was wishful thinking! Plenty of walking and stairs required today.
The eat....
One benefit of playing cricket for a whole day is the right to big food that it offers. On Sunday I continued my pulled pork obsession. Prepared a shoulder joint, placed it in the slow cooker, covered with Desperados beer and left on a low heat. Coming back from a long day to a plate of pulled pork served up with mac & cheese makes it all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment