Sunday 4 January 2015

Double Trouble

2014 started with a parkrun, logic would suggest 2015 would follow suit. Why not start with two? The rules of parkrun allow for two events to be registered by a runner on a single day, the only trouble is finding a couple of events timed appropriately that aren't too far apart. Realistically the start times need to be 90 minutes apart, though some London events you could manage with just an hour between.
The other part of the logistics to work out is where would you run, how far are you willing to travel to complete the double. The good thing is, parkrun completely get into the spirit of the occasion and events work together to make sure doubles are possible. In 2014, there weren't many options available in Essex, so Chelmsford went ahead at the normal time of 0900. This year there are now a huge number of events possible.
Back in October I was involved in some of the planning, just in case we were live (newsflash, we're not). On a day when I was meant to be studying at home a rolling messenger conversation between Great Notley, Chelmsford, Maldon, Basildon, Harlow, Colchester, even Ipswich if memory serves me correctly ran for the whole afternoon. You see just because one combination works, doesn't mean others can't be considered. The rules allow for a start to be between 0830 & 1030, very few go early, it's New Year's Day after all. So based on a running time of 45 minutes, you need to be able to get to the second event start line in another 45. So think of the possibilities; Colchester & Ipswich, Maldon & Chelmsford, Great Notley & Colchester, Harlow & Chelmsford, Chelmsford & Great Notley.
With the location of Great Notley, it made most sense to pair with Chelmsford, though Colchester was reachable (and achieved by some in attendance), the drive across to Chelmsford is the shortest possible. You then have the question of what way round to run things. Chelmsford first, or Chelmsford second? Logistically Chelmsford is an easier setup and can be run with no signage and minimal marshaling. Though Notley experienced a sign free event between Xmas and New Year, with plenty of doubling up tourists expected, a full event would be required.
It was becoming clearer that Chelmsford should be the later of the two events, especially when you factor in Maldon Prom & their proximity to Chelmsford. It made sense for everyone to converge on the county's capital, the largest parkrun in Essex as a finale to the NYD double.
NYD is a special day for parkrunners, especially the tourist community. All events are encouraged to advertise their intentions so that runners from both near & far can make plans accordingly. Though my double would be at two of my local events, much tourist chatter could be found regarding the possibilities of visiting two new events in one, bonus parkrun day.
Once the plans were pencilled in, I offered my services to the GN core team to assist with the event running. This lead to me being the tailrunner on the day, able to both volunteer & run, a perfect start to the year. On top of this I gave the First Timers / Tourists Briefing. For those present, apologies if it appeared slightly rushed, I was being made aware that we had time constraints! It did give me a moment to realise a good order to run briefings in. Bring the tourists & first timers together, provide an overview of the course first, then send the tourists on their way & talk directly to the first timers. That way the experienced tourists get the information they need & the briefing is relevant to all.
I still seem to speed up when talking to a group of people, nothing I can't coach myself out of. I think this was the calmest I'd been at a briefing, not bad seeing as it was the biggest one I've had to deliver so far given the high number of tourists from both Chelmsford & Colchester. I also got an opportunity to welcome a school friend to parkrun, I might be a bit too much of a parkrun enthusiast at times, but it is always fun to see friends enjoy their first parkrun experience.

The Run #1 - Great Notley - Tailrunner

This was going to be a challenge of a different kind. My usual parkrun exploits when in decent condition are usually in the low 23 to high 25 mark, 4:35 - 5:10km would be a fair spread of my 5k pace, course dependent. My easy paced runs when training hover around the 6:00/km mark, when I paced Joel at St Neots, we ran at just over 6:30/km. The tail at Notley usually comes in between 40 - 55 minutes depending on the course conditions & with the hill now treacherous following a marathon the day before, I suspected we'd be at the slower end of the scale.
One of our Endure team mates, Paul had tailed in the past & advised that keeping running is the key. To me, it would be disrespectful to do anything other than run unless the person at the back of the field is themselves walking. You have to match the action of the slowest person on the run, walking whilst they run would not be appropriate behaviour in my mind.
I lined up at the very back of the field & gave the RD the thumbs up once all runners on the path had passed me, with the start line being moved for the winter it was always likely we might have late runners, especially with the event needing to start dead on time.
Starting off at the back of the field.
Once we were under way I started running, just dropping my pace so I was a couple of yards behind the back of the field. Before we'd even made the first corner I noticed another runner, so hung back as they were evidently a late starter. As soon as he was through I started up again, only to notice another regular, making his way to join me having run to the event! I stopped once more & then joined him, though in my mind I was panicking about making Chelmsford as he started walking! Thankfully it was just a breather & he was on his way.
So after half a kilometre I joined Dan, one of Notley's Core Team, I'd be his company on the way round. Dan is aiming for a PB on Saturday, but conditions were not on our side on this New Years Day morning. We passed through halfway in decent time, but the hill of doom was going to be walked, both up & down. My job as the tailrunner isn't to cajole anyone to run faster, just provide assurance on the course & encouragement, no one should feel they are the slowest person on the course, for that is the tailrunner's job. As we made our way down the hill we were passed by two ladies, After saying hello, I presumed they'd headed out for some early morning PT, a great new year's resolution. It wasn't until we spoke to a marshal later on that I found out they'd be late arrivals & we in fact catching up! Of course I couldn't have mitigated for this, once we are through the first corner I can't see any new arrivals!
Tail running
Dan's decision to walk the hill of doom was very sensible, I felt the descend was actually more dangerous & lost my footing momentarily on a couple of occasions whenever I ventured from the very perimeter of the path. Once on level footing we started to run again, we'd be on for a 50 minute finish, which would give us just enough time to get across to Chelmsford without having to set any land speed records!
One thing I do need to remember when tail running is to be less chatty. Just because the pace I'm doing isn't taxing me, it doesn't mean that the person I'm running alongside isn't suffering. After all, when I'm at the top of my pace & Paul is pacing me, I'm not much conversation myself, at times I can barely make it past grunting.
I crossed the line in 50:33 & after getting scanned it was time to head to Chelmsford for the second half of the double.

The Logistics

At this point I should provide a bit more back story on how this double was achieved. Alec, my brother in law was also interested in doubling up, so it made sense to try & share transport. Logic would have suggested that as we live further away than him, that I'd drive. But that logic didn't apply once I'd agreed to be the tail runner. So Alec got up earlier, drove out of his way to Stansted to pick me up. I couldn't even do the decent thing of remember any change for the car park. It'd got it out ready & everything, but rules dictate that I always forget something & this time it was £2.50.
The logic made perfect sense as Alec had the car running ready for me once I'd may my way from the finish area. It wasn't quite a case of tights on the head & Drive Drive Drive, but it was a parkrun getaway vehicle.
Luckily spare change was the only thing I'd forgotten as I slipped the mud caked trail shoes off & into a bag. They were followed by the soggy socks & sweatband & I towelled down the feet for a complete pit stop.
I was then into nice fresh socks & lacing up the Saucony Kinvaras for the first time in a while, everything has been trail of late. Had I two pairs of trail shoes I'd have opted for them, Chelmsford has just enough mud to keep them interested. Upon arrival in Chelmsford I ditched my jacket & shirt for a new long sleeve shirt & we were on our way.
My regular human clothes were already packed into the boot of the wife's car, she was due to meet us for breakfast afterwards & I'd planned ahead.
Once in the park I checked in with Gerry, the Event Director who had himself been present at Notley. He'd announced beforehand that the tail from GNPR was also running at Chelmsford.

The Run #2

I had no plan in my mind for how I'd run the second of two 5k. My legs felt ok as the tail running hadn't overly taxed me so I could have run hard. I set off with the intention of just enjoying it, get round & get some much deserved breakfast.
I was comfortable & had spotted Len from Great Notley in front of me as we left Central Park. I pulled myself up alongside & we spent an enjoyable half hour chatting. As my mentor for parkrun Event Directorship, it was great to just chat on a nice easy run together. Given my recent hiatus, a PB was never on the cards so why not enjoy the sociable side of running. It was certainly an aspect to running I hadn't embraced properly until 2014, to start a new year being sociable made perfect sense.
Len was more enthusiastic than I was......

For the second of the two runs I was in road shoes & this only caused an issue twice for me. The section between 2-3km was a bit treacherous, nothing like the Great Notley course, but far from ideal in roadies. The second occasion was in the finish funnel as a result of my own stupidity. By keeping to an easy pace, I had plenty in the tank. As we turned off the path towards the finish funnel, I challenged Len to a sprint. What followed was quite possibly the best sprint finish of my running career. I surprised myself with just how much pace & power I had. Not only did I drop Len straight away, but I calved through a few more finishers. If this had be caught on film in its entirety it would have been a fun watch, all I have is an awesome picture showing me straining everything to get across the line.
The Sprint Face!

The issue with a sprint is that you then need to decelerate through the funnel. This is a challenge at the best of times, I've seen plenty of runners go through the funnel, unable to stop themselves. I have also myself experienced the complete opposite, a complete halt the moment I crossed the line in Helsinki having put everything into a run. Add the sprint to a mud bath of a finish funnel and you have an issue. On two separate occasions I had to right myself in order to not go over before I'd left the funnel. Sprinting is for fools, that's the lesson learnt.

The Eat

Double up means double to food yes? Before leaving Chelmsford I'd consumed the obligatory Gregg's sausage roll (Dunkin Donuts was closed) & then supplemented that with a double cheeseburger. Not sated, it was time for Welsh Rarebit once home, though I need to work more on my method for this dish, not quite getting the combinations right currently.
I promise that in 2015 I'll eat less crap, just need to empty the house of it at the moment....

The Conclusion

A fine way to see in 2015. Two enjoyable runs with company, some volurunning included into the mix. The first time I've managed to score a NYD parkrun double & hopefully something I can repeat in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment