Friday 26 December 2014

Not running, honest.....

Well mostly honest. I'm itching to get running again having hung up the trainers after the St Neots Half in November. Since that time I've been keeping activity to a minimum. Other than a couple of games of squash and some route tests around the Forest, I've kept myself away from actually running, but found plenty of fulfilment.
Time keeping duty at GNPR
Over the course of November & December I've volunteered at Harlow, Chelmsford & Great Notley parkrun events covering all kinds of roles, even the event starter at Notley on the Saturday just passed. I've learnt that I don't have the camera or the skill to be an event photographer, that I need to talk at a slower rate when giving briefings (nerves & confidence) & that you can never have enough layers of clothing.
Xmas Fancy Dress at GNPR

With Christmas Day approaching it is time to get the trainers back on & aim myself at the Cambridge Half marathon in March. By lunchtime on the 3rd I'll have added five parkruns to my total & volunteered three times as well! My schedule currently looks like this:

Xmas Day - Chelmsford Central
27th - Great Notley (+ pre event setup)
NYD - Great Notley (+ tailrunner) & Chelmsford
3rd - Chelmsford Central (+ 30 minute pacer)

Six months ago I'd not even volunteered, when I picked up my 50 shirt at the Great Notley inaugural, I still hadn't donned the florescent vest. Sure I had reasons of distance, but in truth I knew it was time to start paying back to parkrun. Then I found out just how enjoyable volunteering can be, although I'm pretty confident with people I know, but actually forcing yourself outside of your bubble to engage with strangers is no bad thing. It doesn't come natural to me at all to just strike up conversation with people I don't know, but the warmth that is the parkrun family has shown me that it's not that hard. Once you have an icebreaker of being insanely stupid to be out of bed and running or volunteer at 9am on a Saturday morning you can pretty much talk to anyone.

Starting Great Notley parkrun

I'd encourage anyone who regular runs at a parkrun (or club or other) event to consider volunteering every so often. Don't ever feel burdened by it, the experience can only be enjoyable if you're not resenting being there, so if it is not for you, so be it. Many events have pacers or tailrunners, why not combine the two? On Saturday I really fancy running, but as a temporary member of the Notley core team I'm also aware of the volunteer roster & it's need to be filled. The solution? Pre Event setup. I get to lend a hand, volunteer & still run. Who knows, there might even be a sausage roll left by the time I finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment