Thursday 14 August 2014

Pride 10k - HM 6/12

I guess as I'm halfway through the road to Richmond, now would be an opportune time to look at progress and assess where I am, a half term report if you'd like. The week just passed was one of the highlights of my running journey, achieving something I still can't quite believe was possible. The effort has surprised me, left a smile on my face as I contemplate what else could be achieved.
This would be the first week in a while that hadn't involved any parkrun duties as I'd entered the Pride 10k down in London for the third time. In hindsight we could have volunteered at a local event or even had a slow warm up run! The Pride 10k is a highlight of the running calendar. Held in Victoria Park it is ideal for quick times. Pancake flat, wide, tarmac & shaded park paths, the perfect mixture to run fast. When we first competed there in 2011 I was surprised by a mid 51 time & after a date clash owing to London 2012 we returned last year. My 2013 time was a low 51, close to lifetime PB which was also a surprise given how far away from my best I was only months previously. With all of this in mind I'd targeted a 49:30, a first time under the 50 minute barrier.

Run 1 - Lunchtime in London

Working an early shift during the week leading up to the event curtailed my ability to run. I was originally intending runs on Monday & Thursday, but found myself involved with some project work that made Monday impossible. With early shifts I now try to run during my lunch time as getting up earlier isn't feasible & I've never got on with evening running.
On Wednesday I headed out with my colleague Steve and we decided to take on Battersea Park. Steve ran VLM in 2013 & last year dragged me around my first attempts at tempo running. This time the roles were reversed slightly as the marathon experience left him disillusioned & needing to recapture running for fun. There were no great attempts at pace during our 7km trott, we hovered around the 6:00/km pace as I was using this as one last easy run before race day. No significant niggles to report & when we started to push a bit, there was plenty in the legs to call upon.
That should have been it, nothing silly to get in my way before Pride. Unfortunately my lack of form with the squash racquet had me reaching for the ice on Thursday Already losing significantly in the match, I saw a ball sat up perfectly & out of frustration put everything through it. The problem is, squash is a touch game, there is no need to leather the ball. The end result was pain straight away & off to find ice. Would an arm injury keep me from the start line on Saturday?
Thankfully the injury appeared to be muscular. I rightfully got no sympathy from the wife for my idiocy & spent the rest of the day applying Ibuleve or my medical bag of peas. By Friday morning my movement was still partially limited, but the pain had subsided.

Run 2 - Pride 10k

On the approach to the day itself I'd been chatting regularly with Joel. He's always hesitant when I recommend a race as they're usually hilly. But buoyed by my stupid claim that it was so flat I might target a 48:30 he decided to see if breaking the hour would be possible.
Pre run selfie

You did indeed read that right, 48:30. Despite the plan suggesting to run a minute slower, I was that comfortable with my recent parkrun form that I felt it was worth exploring the possibility of a 48:30. This would mean an overall pace of 4:51/km. Whether it was a positive or a foolish mindset, I had decided to try parkrun pace for as long as possible to see at what point I'd hit the wall. My expectation would be 7km, perhaps 8km at this pace & then a coast back to the finish line.
I lined up at what I thought was a decent position, Joel and Paula taking places further down the field. For the first time in a couple of months I was running with music, having found my iPod in a still unpacked London 10000 goody bag. I felt a bit of music would be a handy addition, adding a bit of focus. The start was steady, through the first kilometre just outside of target at 4:59. The course is a simple one. First km is straight, followed by three laps of the park. By the second marker I was into a nice rhythm, bringing my time close to on track with a 4:47. A third in 4:50 meant I was over target by 3 seconds, but also noticing the course was measuring slightly short, something that might be in my favour later on. The first lap was completed and just past the start finish was the 4km mark. I went through in 4:39 and feeling good. A fifth kilometre in 4:45 meant I'd completed the first half in just over 24 minutes, a parkrun time I'd be happy with!
I was expecting to start feeling it but the rhythm was still good and my sixth kilometre was still under target with a 4:49. The next three were slightly slower at 4:52 and two 4:56, but the wall wasn't there yet. As I went past the 9km mark I looked at my watch and at 43:30 knew I could claim a time. Final Countdown by Europe had just kicked in and I was now talking to myself, as I had been for a while to count myself in to home.
A few of us started to run through the gears as the home straight approached. I'd been in quite a solid group for a while and we were all jockeying for position as the final 400m were entered. As Europe faded out I skipped through to Real American and tried to grab as much energy as I had left for home.
I crossed the line at around 48:40 on the gun time, though unsure what my official time was as I'd not managed to stop my Garmin in time. I grabbed a medal and a goody bag and then quickly had to sit down, I was completely spent. I took a few minutes to recover, sure that I'd at least hit 48:30. 
A less pained expression this year!

I got to my feet and got back to the finish line to see Joel finishing. He'd come through unofficially under the hour and soon after Paula was following. We walked away from the finish area and found that the results were already appearing online. 
Post run. Rather knackered.

Joel was exceedingly happy, a chip time of 59:57, he'd broken the hour for the first time. Paula was happy with a 1:02, a decent outing on zero training.
My chip time didn't sink in to start with. 48:20. Under even my silliest target had been smashed. We tucked into the post run snacks of bagels and bananas and took in the results. I was dumbfounded, couldn't wipe the grin from my face.
Post run smiles

The Eat

I should point out that the run was fuelled by chips. Well chips, battered sausage & saveloy to be precise. We couldn't be bothered to cook on Friday and I fell off the low carb wagon. The chips were great, though within minutes I was bloated & remembering why low carb works better for me.
Plantain tacos
Joel drove us across to Westfield and our choice for food was easy. The escalator from parking took us straight to the door of Wahaca. They had a table ready so that sealed the deal. An hour later and we'd consumed a fair amount of Mexican style street food. The food was quick & easy, though becoming a bit of a chain Wahaca serve up some decent dishes & we weren't disappointed.
Steak something & pork something
We chose to wander Westfield some more & found an ice cream stand on the concourse. Once that was consumed it was time to head home, for an afternoon of relaxation and an evening of steak, I felt it was deserved!!!

The Conclusion

This result surpassed all of my expectations. I knew from prior experience that the course was quick, I just didn't expect my own pace to be that good. The time justifies every hill sprint, fartlek session, tough & hilly 10k I've done. The hills of doom at Great Notley & Wimpole have also played a part.
You'll rarely get perfect conditions, but when you do, make the most of them. That's why I did on Saturday. I felt good, I ran well. In hindsight the 48:30 plan hatched the week of the race was probably too cavalier, but for once I was able to match a goal with a performance.
Team Um Bongo results
With 6 more weeks left to Richmond it is now time to follow this up with a stronger performance over half marathon distance. I won't be able to sustain such a plan over 21km, but I can take the confidence with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment