Saturday 22 November 2014

Hollywood 5k race report

This blog started life on Wednesday 12th, I kept it parked waiting for official photos of the race. After a nearly 2 weeks, it wasn't worth the wait....

It's time to try and fight off jetlag by keeping myself busy with some fantastic blogging. The fantastic is more in hope rather than expectation! I was barely conscious after two alarm calls this morning. As comfortable as the flight home was, the 8 hour time difference and generally tiredness from a long twin city holiday is catching up with me. Last night I'm sure I woke myself up on the train home with a snore!
Of course one additional explanation for tiredness could be the early wake up call on Saturday. We were up at 5am in order to get down to Hollywood. Most folks would only get up that early to go on a day trip, perhaps see the sunrise. Me, I dragged everyone up to run a 5k just for the sake of some run bling!
Perhaps my addiction to a Saturday morning 5k is getting a bit too much. With parkrun struggling for traction in the USA, we weren't able to make a visit to one of their events. I searched online for various events up to 10k to get another running fix whilst in the states. At one point I was considering a 10k around Griffith Park, having been up to the Observatory, I'm pleased to have found a more sensible 5k. The Hard Rock Cafe 5k was due for its 2nd running. Sure the entry fee was a bit high (events in the US are just damn expensive), but the medal promised to look fantastic. Just five kilometres would also be non taxing and a good way to start the day.
Lots and lots of bling.....

We arrived in Hollywood with a good 45 minutes before the start. After number and t-shirt pickup we had time to take on a banana, stay hydrated and at least attempt a toilet visit (given up on, half a dozen portaloos for 1700 runners isn't a decent enough ratio). At this point I should point out that my race attire wasn't as regular as usual. The Um Bongo shirt was there, my sister Clare was also making her Team Um Bongo debut. But as we were in America I'd invested in a pair of Zubaz trousers to add all kinds of colours to the outfit. Once topped off with a pink leopard print headband and I was quite the colour palate!
Pre Race - Lots of colours

After the obligatory pre race photos we were off to the start line. Originally I thought we'd run together, but that plan was scrapped, which was a good idea as the race start was the most frustrating I've experienced. 

The Run

A slow start to Team Um Bongo
After the guy on the PA system hyped everyone for the start we were underway. Unfortunately the slow start from the US Half was to be followed by even more annoyance.
Perhaps we were too far back, but everyone around us moved like zombies, some folks barely walking! The decision to not run together meant I could just start weaving, I suspect I added a good extra 50-100m with sideways movement in the first kilometre. I suspect this is the norm, but why not having some timing pens, even a split for runners and walkers so that those of us that don't have all day to kill can get to the front.


The course was meant to be all about the music, however other than at the start line there appeared to be just one music desk along the route, a bit disappointing to be honest. The course itself was also a bit bland, 2.5km out and then straight back to the finish line. I'd managed to settle into a decent rhythm getting down to five minute kilometres and reasonably happy with the pace.
At halfway I turned and couldn't see Clare so presumed she might be hovering on my shoulder, looking to sneak a win. With that in mind I wasn't in the mood for offering high fives to the runners in the other direction, but did give Paula a wave once we passed.
Though my pace was decent, my decision to run in full length Zubaz pants wasn't clever. Despite a 7am start time the temperature was ramping up and I found myself in a self created sweaty mess!
Thankfully the finish line was soon in sight, the course took us gently downhill. I was grateful to see the ever closer finish line, the sheer volume of Korean, Japanese & American food consumed over the preceding days was all being sweated out! Another kilometre would have had me adding projectile to my already funky colour scheme!
My delightful Zubaz even got a shout out from the PA as I came through the finish and grasped a water bottle and medal. Stick a fork in me, I was truly done. My time of 25:11 meant that a family win was never in doubt. In turns out Clare wasn't on my shoulder, finishing a couple of minutes behind me and Paula coming in just under the half hour. Despite my 194th place I was the 2nd place international runner and 1st place British finisher. In fact we'd have swept a British 1-2-3 but my sister registered herself as an American! Sure there were only 6 countries represented, but a win is a win!

Post race with Bling!

The Bling

One of the reasons for signing up to American races is the excellent run bling. The half marathon medal was superb and in terms of shiny, the Hard Rock 5k medal really is something special. I also picked up the start and finish pin badges so that I can convert them to magnets for the bridge.

The Eat

We were in Hollywood so a trip to Roscoe's for Chicken & Waffles was mandatory. The early start meant we'd get there before any queues. How better to follow a 5k run than with half a fried chicken, a massive waffle and an oozing of maple syrup? I'm sure the 500 calorie deficit was more than repayed!
Pilgramage to Roscoe's
Chick N Waffles N Medal....


Worth getting up early for fried chicken goodness
Followed by $7 chocolate milk


Later in the day (once dressed normally, without those Zubaz) I even got a chance to make the pilgrimage to In-N-Out Burger. I'd been anticipating a visit since our visit to Vegas in 2011 and was well aware of their much publicised secret menu. My brother in law Dan and I were out wandering around midday and despite the post run refuel I was feeling peckish. It turns out the In-N-Out was just a five minute detour so we wandered in to order up a double double (double cheeseburger) animal style and animal style fries. The fries weren't amazing, though covered in plentiful amounts of cheese and sauce, but the burger was very decent with the extra sauces and cheese. It was probably never going to meet my unrealistic expectations, but for cheap and cheerful fast food it hit the spot.
Let's go Animal Style

The Conclusion

Start further forward at American races. End of conclusion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment