Friday 10 October 2014

parkrun 10th birthday

A weekend to remind you of everything that is good about running. After the disappointment of the London Marathon ballot, this weekend presented a healing of the wounds and a reminder of why I do this.
I'd taken all of the working week off, I'm trying to rest up the various ailments ahead of the final events of the year. Thankfully a visit to the doctors confirmed nothing too major, just a need for some anti inflammatories and antibiotics and a promise to try and run as little as possible until the end of the medication. Sadly I've not managed to start on the drugs yet as at 31 I'm still unable to swallow tablets. Back to the surgery for some calpol or whatever the equivalent is!
With one 10k and some parkruns planned in the next fortnight I can get by on my current base fitness. Once we get to October 20th I'll need to add some greater mileage to ensure I can get through the US & St Neots Halves.
The week that passed offered me an opportunity to visit parkrun Mecca, check the route of my soon to be parkrun home and run with friends both old and new.

Run #1 - BPTT

An overnight work shift landed me a central London hotel and a perfect chance to head to a capital based parkrun. On this occasion there were no last minute planning shenanigans, this had been in the diary for some time. You could even suggest that when asked for our working availability, I might have sensed an ideal date. 
Out in force to celebrate the 100th, 50th & 10th

Thankfully the work went to plan, even affording us time for a G&T in the hotel bar before retiring. Night soon became day and I was negotiating early morning Vauxhall where everyone else appeared to be clubbing, where as I was donning the lycra and running shoes. 
Busy busy busy!

I was on my way to Bushy Park, to join Sean & Emily for their 100th & 50th parkruns. When the date was originally set, they weren't aware that it was also the 10th anniversary of parkrun, with Bushy being the mecca of parkrun and where it all began, it was going to be a busy morning. Sean & Emily are Bushy regulars and they were noting that it appeared to be significantly busier pre run. There were some predictions online that the event might draw 2500, thankfully it didn't get quite so crazy. Regular attendance is around 1000 & the post run funnel setup really is something to behold.
parkrun HQ were also out in force to support the event. They'd managed to gather the original thirteen from the first Bushy Park Time Trial and presented them with commemorative medals. The founder of the parkrun movement Paul Sinton Hewitt was presented with a golden barcode and after further presentations we were ready to start. 
Managed to capture a great panorama of the start

There would be no PB attempts this week. I was determined to take it easy and we ran as a five: Sean, Emily, Gary, Joel & myself, we aimed for around the 29-30 minute mark.
This was one of the most enjoyable running experiences I've been a part of. No clock pressure what so ever, just sharing the experience with friends. I had time to take pictures, chat and generally not sound like a wheezing mess!
Great self made t-shirts

The course was certainly busy, but we managed to stick together most of the time. Only once at 3km did Gary, Joel & I need to give it a little burst to get back to Sean & Emily. As we nearer the finish I was more concerned with not tripping whilst taking photos as I wanted to capture the special day for our landmark runners.
The temptation to sprint finish wasn't there. I briefly skirted in front for more photos and then took position behind our celebrating couple, with Emily leading us home just shy of 30 minutes.
We were then separated from Joel as the amazing Bushy finish funnel went into operation. On my first visit there was a dual funnel and queuing system. On this occasion there was even a third lane as every minute between 20-29 minutes saw 100 people finish. There were more volunteers at the funnel than most parkrun events would have in total!!
Triple funnel time

We were soon through the funnel and off to get scanned. There were so short queues but I implored everyone to stick with me, I'd spotted something and it would be worth the wait. 
1288th!!!!

To cap off the anniversary and entry into the 50/100 clubs, Sean & Emily also got scanned by the parkrun founder, Paul Sinton Hewitt. It was the icing on the cake to a great occasion. A chance to thank Paul for everything he has done for running. As an aspiring event director the day provided an awe inspiring spectacle. Though the thought of managing a run this large would probably send me crazy, having a chance to provide an opportunity to others to enjoy the parkrun experience is something I look forward to.
Emily being scanned by PSH CBE
Sean being scanned by PSH CBE

The Eat
Once we'd walked away, starstruck, it was time for the literal icing on the cake. Emily's sister had made a dual 50/100 shirt cake to celebrate the occasion. Combined with champagne it made for a truly excellent post run refuel, one being followed by the parkrun team based on their table of cakes and bubbly!
HQ had the right idea, cakes & bubbly

But they didn't have a custom 50/100 cake!
Run #2 - Route testing

Throughout Saturday I was excited to see just how much it was raining. I wasn't being crazy, there was some rationale behind it. The more it rained, the more of a test our parkrun route would be around the Forest.
Sunday morning arrived and glorious sunshine greeted us, perfect overhead conditions, so hopefully the underfoot would still be a bit on the soggy side. I met with follow core team members Sam & Paul, also joined by Alec as he'd also walked the course so could remember bits that I couldn't.
Once we all had gps it was time to take in the route. If finding the more I run it, the more detail I'm taking in, committing more to memory. The underfoot conditions were pretty good, in the majority of areas the rain had drained with ease. Even the ditches transition seemed fine and it was good to see our main obstacle wasn't flooded, so wouldn't be an issue on most weeks. It's good for us that we have the winter to test the route. We'll be able to see it at the very worst and work out if the course is truly an all year all weather option. Paul's feedback on the route was the same as everyone else's, very positive. We've really been provided something special that shows off the location perfectly, something I can't wait to share.

The Eat 2
For research purposes Alec & I tested the sausage rolls. A definite plus for the post race refuelling! Once back home I provided Paula a promised cheese toastie and made myself a Welsh Rarebit. Oozy cheesy goodness is the perfect way to indulge. If I'm going to let bread back in over the weekend then there needs to be cheese involved!!
Super oozy Welsh Rarebit

The Conclusion

What an awesome weekend. Two very enjoyable runs with company. Sharing the parkrun 10th anniversary with friends at Bushy was amazing. Sure the time was a personal worst, but it wasn't about that on Saturday! To see parkrun on a grand scale is very impressive. Just 6 people and a dog at our inaugural would be just fine with me though!!!!
Sean & Emily officially join the 50 & 100 clubs 



No comments:

Post a Comment