Saturday 26 April 2014

An eggscellent weekend....

Please excuse the pun, in search for a title I stumbled upon a very obvious and silly pun!

Please also excuse any errors, days not making sense etc. When I started writing this blog I'm sure it was Monday. I then got close to completing it on Tuesday evening, only for the Blogger app to not save my work and leave me back at the start of parkrun. A very frustrating blogging platform, perhaps time to get something else out there. It is now Saturday and I again updated the blog yesterday only for the android app to fail to upload it. Despite saving the draft it appears I need to edit it some more here.

Easter weekend brought two successful runs, a third should have taken place but I felt like rewarding myself. My original plan was to run long on the Friday and Monday bank holidays and sandwich a parkrun in between.

The Run #1

Despite the temptation to stay in bed, I decided to forgo a lie in, lace up and get out on a beautiful bank holiday Friday morning. I had two hours to play with so headed to Elsenham where I would combine my loop towards Newport with a journey back via Rickling Green & Manuden if I felt good.
As always with an easy run, the first km was slow, a 6:30 & not something I concerned myself with. This allowed me to get straight down to six minute pace as the road headed into Elsenham. Fast forward an hour and I was turning left onto the main road between Stansted and Cambridge, crossing the M11 and at a decision point as to whether I head home or add some extra kilometres to the run.
I felt excellent so turned right in Quendon and took the road from Rickling Green to Manuden. I didn't pass anyone on this two and a half mile stretch that cuts through the countryside, enjoying the views and slipping into a quicker pace. My 15th km was the fastest, a 5:34, in fact the run was a genuine negative split, with my pace excellent throughout.
I returned home with a hugely satisfactory 19km in just over 1:53, or in easter terms, with 10 free creme eggs banked!

The Run #2

There was no last minute planning for this weekend's parkrun. I had tried to persuade my brother in law to make his parkrun debut in Chelmsford, but once that plan was shelved we set the sat nav for Sudbury and towards the Great Cornard event.
Another relatively new addition to the parkrun family, this would be my second successive event in Suffolk and my 25th overall different event. After parking up and wandering through a leisure centre we found the familiar sight of a parkrun volunteer huddle. The run director gave us a short and friendly brief, making sure everyone was aware of the double turns required on each lap and encouraging everyone to buy cakes at the end of the run!
Even before we started the race director was keen to order people according to pace, encouraging faster runners to the front and politely suggesting slower runners started at the back of the field. With everyone lined up correctly we were under-way and I was thankful for not being a sub 20 runner as the marshal at the double turn directed many right instead of left! Luckily the more experienced runners encouraged those that made the wrong turn to either pirouette or U turn to get back on track!
Once the opposing right turn had been completed we headed to the football and cricket club next door for a lap of the field, before getting back to the school field to complete a lap.
My pace felt adequate, a glance at the watch every km suggested I was running at 5:00/km and just over. I was a bit disappointed as it looked like the sub 25 streak would end, but I could understand why having run for 2 hours just a day previously.
With a decent time looking unlikely I gave the photographer a big thumbs up and just tried to get on with it. As I completed the first lap I noticed my gps might be measuring short. I put this to the back of my mind and carried on, embracing the tarmac at the start of the lap before heading out to the cricket field once more. My pace continued around the five per click mark, just slightly over. We were soon out of the field and I found myself basically running against no one.
Second time around and there was no thumbs up for the photographer. A brief glance of my gps confirmed that the course was measuring short and I was midway through the 22nd minute. With around half a kilometre to go I realised a PB was possible. This provided a surge of confidence and I pushed for home. I decided against taking on the long jump pit and got my head down as I turned for the line. As I approached I even tried a pose, something the finish photographer missed!!

The Eat

Before we get to the result, let me tell you about the culinary delights that await a parkrunner should they venture into Sudbury following the event finish. Unfortunately the swimming pool & its slides are not available as there are lessons taking place. That leaves you with a quaint market town that offers a Wimpy (bonus), Cheese stall on the market (another bonus) & Rafi's Spice box (http://spicebox.co.uk) where you can stock up on spice packs for homemade curries. We also saw a couple of independent bakeries & if you find the Wimpy Shake to be a bit disappointing like I did, you could venture down the road to Starburger to see if they can do better.

The Conclusion

23:52.
Once I'd stopped my watch & got scanned I realised that I was absolutely gassed! I attempted to tell Paula it was a PB, no idea what slobbering statement she heard! According to the gps the course measured 200m short, but as far as I'm concerned it's a PB!!

To gain a new record was a complete shock. It tells me that training for Helsinki is going well & although my aspirations of a 1:50 half won't be met this time around, I'm in excellent form with two weeks to go. I'll never be good for age & to some that means I might not be anything more than a fun runner, but I can be good for me & that provides all the motivation I need.
Thumbs Up on lap 1

Powering to the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment